07 October 2023

Team Doug Report #4

 Here I am again with my latest update. Welcome back everyone. And a special "Hi!" to the newest members of Team Doug.

One of my nurses has reminded me that chemo is cumulative. This recent cycle (#2) certainly demonstrated that. I went into the clinic on September 18th for my chemo and immuno infusions that day and to have the (other) chemo pump connected for the next four days. Through that week I felt not too bad, except for the hassle of keeping the pump close at hand every minute.

On the Friday (22nd) I had the pump disconnected at the clinic and we enjoyed our traditional Friday night pizza at home. The next day I felt not great -- not due to the pizza, I assume -- and the downward trend continued over the weekend. By Wednesday morning I was starting to gradually improve. I'm not going to go into the details of the side-effects; suffice to say there were several, some of which were new to me. My mantra has become, "Every day a new adventure!"

By Sunday I was well enough to work a Marine Rescue State Communications Centre evening shift: a busy one. I expect to do the same again this Sunday. Good mental therapy for me!

This week (Recovery Week 2) I have felt pretty much normal.  I've been out walking each day, weather permitting, and working out at home on my new elliptical trainer. Thursday was handyman day: our nephew Dave kindly offered to come over and do some jobs for us around the place, including installing a post for our clothesline, so of course he needed a supervisor/apprentice.

And Friday we took further advantage of my well-being with a lunch at a lovely local restaurant on the water.

I've decided that each cycle looks like the picture below. A mild decline at first, then a sharp drop at the start of the second week and a slow recovery. The "Condition" axis applies to pretty much everything: side-effects, energy, appetite, white cell count, ...

In general, my "low" this cycle was lower than the first cycle but the recovery has been about the same. Bring on Cycle 3!


There is maybe a slight improvement in my cancer symptoms, but they were pretty mild anyway -- a bit of pain on the right side of my neck. I won't know how effective the treatment is until my next PET scan, in a couple of weeks.

Once again, thanks for being my cheer squad. You're all great supporters. . .  but Dianne is better!

Till next time,

Doug