15 September 2023

Team Doug Report #3

Thanks to you all for your occasional notes of encouragement and caring. 

After my first not-so-great weekend at home after Cycle 1, life improved very nicely. Through the next two weeks it seemed that every day was better than the last. My aches and pains slowly dissolved, my heavy stomach lightened up, and my energy returned. I relied less and less on the anti-nausea tablets.

I woke up three days ago feeling completely normal. I hunted for side-effects and couldn't find one. Woo hay! By the end of day, though, I was dragging significantly. The next day was the opposite: weary in the morning, bright and sparky at bedtime. (The oncologist said that was because my steroids from two weeks ago have worn off.) Since then I've felt pretty normal. As I said, the trend is upward.

Through this period I have done a few things to stay active -- short walks, planting flowers, ... -- and, while they may have tired me a bit, I gotta believe they were good for me. (The oncologist says that, counter-intuitively, physical activity is great for combating fatigue.) And I still have a normal appetite and a solid sleep every night.

My oncologist is Prof Nick Pavlakis -- feel free to look him up -- and from now on I will call him Nick, for that is what we call him when we meet.

Dianne & I met with Nick on Wednesday.  Without predicting how I will respond to the next treatment cycle, he says my current level of stamina and well-being is  good omen for the future. After the third cycle they will do another PET scan to see how well the treatment is working.

Again, Dianne's love and support have been real boost to me. Words cannot express...

Monday lunch-time I will go in for my next round of infusions and connection of the pump that I will wear for the week. This weekend I have all manner of household chores to see to.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about my journey or my treatment.

Till next time,
...Doug