21 August 2023

Team Doug Report #1

 Many thanks for all your support and encouraging words. Here's the progress for this week.

We spoke with my oncologist today and things continue to move ahead.

He's still not positive about the source of my cancer, but it seems to be somewhere in the head/neck region. He wants to start me on a combination of chemo and immune therapy next week. He is confident that, with that, remission is achievable.
Immune therapy, in particular, has a very high success rate.

The treatments will be 1 week on then 2 weeks off. Each treatment will mean I'll have to go into the clinic (about 30 minutes from home) each day on Mon-Thurs as an in-patient. The chemo will continue for four cycles (12 weeks altogether) then stop. The immune therapy will continue for longer.

After 2-3 cycles I'll have another scan to see if the treatment is working.

He says I should be able to carry on my usual activities, including Marine Rescue, during all this. Of course we'll need to see what side effects happen, but they have ways to limit the side effects that occur.

We're going into the clinic later on this week to meet with the treatment team and learn the details of the treatment, so we should have all our questions answered then.

My next report to you will probably be after the first cycle of treatment, around September 1st.

I'm feeling a bit apprehensive about the side effects of the chemo, but I'm encouraged that I'll be getting into it soon and hoping for a good result.

Meanwhile, fingers crossed and thanks again for all your good wishes and vibes.

...Doug